2.18.2011

...life as a juror...

Jury Duty. A two letter word that most people dread. The feeling of ugh the minute you see the summons in the mailbox, and the feeling of relief when your group is released for the day. Whether ever actually serving or not, everyone has pre-conceived notions on how they feel about Jury Duty and what to expect. I simply thought you showed up the day of, hung out for an hour or two and was let go to enjoy the rest of your day. Boy, was I wrong! Last week I was called in for Jury Duty, my third time in a year, and for once actually had to report. I showed up bright and early at 8:45a.m. to stand in a half an hour line to get through security to later wait in a large room for hours. Once I was finally called at 2p.m., myself and fifty-five other jurors reported to a court room and sat through three hours of questioning to see who would be the best fit and most un-biased person for this case. Out of fifty-five people, I was picked to be one of fourteen jurors, the thought in my head was “oh joy!”. Honestly, I wasn’t looking forward to it, but knowing it was my civic duty, tried to make the best out of it. Throughout the process, I found myself intrigued and even somewhat enjoying the process. I loved being able to hear expert witness testimony, come up with my own thoughts and conclusions, and really see the judicial system in action. Honestly it was a great learning experience. One I actually think everyone should get the opportunity to experience once in their life. Although exhausting days were part of the juror gig, I was able to enjoy hour-and-a-half lunches in the beautiful Arizona weather, enjoying a few new and past favorite lunch spots.

I wasn’t able to take any photos inside the court building, but here are a few from my nice breaks.
[my home for a few days]

[trying out vitamin t]
[my fav from duck and decanter]
[my lunch locale]


xoxo,
R

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com